CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th September 2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default The Approaching Famine

The Book of Revelation predicts famine as one of the early events of the tribulation.

{6:5} And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying: “Draw near and see.” And behold, a black horse. And he who was sitting upon it was holding a balance in his hand.
{6:6} And I heard something like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A double measure of wheat for a denarius, and three double measures of barley for a denarius, but do no harm to wine and oil.”

my post on the third Seal

It looks like the famine is very near. I have been saying, for some time now, that mid-2013 would see the start of the famine. That looks to be correct. We should be at war with Iran by then, which will adversely affect an already weakened and faltering economy. And the 2012 drought is projected to affect food prices in many nations by mid 2013.

Preparations: storing some food, at least 30 days worth of food, including vegetable oil (dietary fat), rice, sugar, pasta, dried legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. (protein and carbs). Also, you should have enough gallons of bottled water for 2 weeks for your family, at 1 gallon per person per day.

For other preparations, see my book:
Apocalypse Survival Guide for Christians
Old 6th September 2012, 10:29 PM

Default Food for Thought

Hormel products have indefinite shelf life if stored properly. The freeze dried food can be expensive. Spam has doubled in price the last 3 years at ther Costco. The beauty of this is you can eat it if nothing happens or donate to charity or food bank.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:36 PM
Administrator

my food storage list:

pasta, white
Kraft mac and cheese
potato, instant mashed
oatmeal, instant flavored
couscous
rice, long grain white
quick barley
candy, sugar based
crackers
raisins
sunflower seeds
milk, instant non-fat dry
peanut butter
dry soup mix
Ramen, premium
soynuts
granulated sugar
canola or soybean oil
Old 7th September 2012, 02:49 AM

What is good about Ron's list above is that you can ignore the expiration dates stamped on most of the packages. The dried milk and the oatmeal last for many years way past the stamped on expiration date.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:51 AM

I have also started my family's food storage about a month ago...I am starting to feel like those characters on the TV reality-show 'Doomseday Preppers'...
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14
Old 7th September 2012, 04:25 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Also to purchase books on how to survive in the wild, how to forage , hunt, purify water, etc. Food storage can only last so long. If you live in a big city i recommend leaving when food no longer is coming into the city. You gotta think big picture.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I've been reading a number of (secular) prepping-type blogs. There is a lot of good information out their. Just google search terms like:
survival blogs
prepping blogs
emergency preparedness
and similar terms
Old 7th September 2012, 01:31 PM

Ron, what's the best way to store canola oil without refrigeration? Doesn't it go rancid after a short amount of time?
Old 7th September 2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCMfriend View Post
Ron, what's the best way to store canola oil without refrigeration? Doesn't it go rancid after a short amount of time?

No. Refined vegetable oil will keep up to 2 years without refrigeration.
Old 9th September 2012, 08:41 PM

My father in law told me that they would never have survived the Depression if it wasn't for their family milk cow. They moved from the city to the country and raised chickens and a milk cow.
I am increasing my chickens to 18 this next month and have been researching information on getting a milk cow. I am looking at getting a jersey cow so I can make quality cheeses. As well as an older child I have 2 toddlers and want to keep them as healthy as possible in the times ahead of us all. Also it helps to feed others in need. I have horses already but the commitment to a cow is huge as they have to be milked twice a day. My husband wants us to wait for as long as possible before getting one.
We must all prepare each to our own needs and situations.
God Bless.