CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd November 2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default Salvation theology

If members are interested, we can have a discussion on Catholic salvation theology: who is saved and how.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:52 AM

Ron, this is a topic I would be interested in learning more about. Because of school my time is very limited, but I will participate in the discussion when I can.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:59 AM

I am interested.
Old 24th November 2012, 02:11 PM

That would be an interesting topic.
Old 24th November 2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default salvation theology, first point

There are two fundamental cases to consider, concerning salvation:
1. the person who dies in a state of grace
2. the person who dies in a state of actual mortal sin (i.e. unrepentant from one or more actual mortal sins)

Pope Pius XII: “Above all, the state of grace is absolutely necessary at the moment of death; without it, salvation and supernatural happiness — the beatific vision of God — are impossible.” (Address to Midwives, 21.a.)

Anyone who dies in a state of grace will have eternal life in Heaven, perhaps after a temporary stay in Purgatory.

Pope Benedict XII: “By this Constitution which is to remain in force forever, we, with apostolic authority, define the following…. Moreover, we define that according to the general disposition of God, the souls of those who die in actual mortal sin go down into hell immediately after death and there suffer the pain of hell.” (On the Beatific Vision of God, in the year 1336)

Anyone who dies in a state of unrepentant actual mortal sin will have eternal punishment in Hell.
Old 24th November 2012, 04:15 PM

Ron, can a person enter into a state of grace knowing that his end is near, despite being cavalier about his spiritual life earlier...that is in comparison to someone who strives on a daily basis to be good, without seeming to achieve the piety of saints, and finally on his deathbed is still regretful that he wasnt able to be what all his spiritual instruction and learning showed him he could have been!
I mean is the first person just as likely to be as blessed in grace as the second?
Old 24th November 2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyfifer View Post
Ron, can a person enter into a state of grace knowing that his end is near, despite being cavalier about his spiritual life earlier...that is in comparison to someone who strives on a daily basis to be good, without seeming to achieve the piety of saints, and finally on his deathbed is still regretful that he wasnt able to be what all his spiritual instruction and learning showed him he could have been!
I mean is the first person just as likely to be as blessed in grace as the second?

A person can enter or return to the state of grace at any time in life, even just prior to death:

[Matthew 20]
{20:1} “The kingdom of heaven is like the father of a family who went out in early morning to lead workers into his vineyard.
{20:2} Then, having made an agreement with the workers for one denarius per day, he sent them into his vineyard.
{20:3} And going out about the third hour, he saw others standing idle in the marketplace.
{20:4} And he said to them, ‘You may go into my vineyard, too, and what I will give you will be just.’
{20:5} So they went forth. But again, he went out about the sixth, and about the ninth hour, and he acted similarly.
{20:6} Yet truly, about the eleventh hour, he went out and found others standing, and he said to them, ‘Why have you stood here idle all day?’
{20:7} They say to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You also may go into my vineyard.’
{20:8} And when evening had arrived, the lord of the vineyard said to his manager, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning from the last, even to the first.’
{20:9} And so, when those who had arrived about the eleventh hour came forward, each received a single denarius.
{20:10} Then when the first ones also came forward, they considered that they would receive more. But they, too, received one denarius.
{20:11} And upon receiving it, they murmured against the father of the family,
{20:12} saying, ‘These last have worked for one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who worked bearing the weight and heat of the day.’
{20:13} But responding to one of them, he said: ‘Friend, I caused you no injury. Did you not agree with me to one denarius?
{20:14} Take what is yours and go. But it is my will to give to this last, just as to you.
{20:15} And is it not lawful for me to do what I will? Or is your eye wicked because I am good?’
{20:16} So then, the last shall be first, and the first shall be last. For many are called, but few are chosen.”

The payment is the same for those who enter and remain in the state of grace from infancy, as for those who convert at the end of the life, in the sense that all receive eternal happiness.

But the payment is different in the sense that the person who served God and neighbor his whole life receives the greater reward in Heaven.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:04 PM
Administrator

An actual mortal sin is an offense against God that meets all three conditions:

1. is objectively gravely immoral, or believed to be so by the sinner;
2. is committed with full knowledge of its grave immorality;
3. is committed with full deliberation, i.e. full consent of the will.

Only actual mortal sin, deserves eternal punishment in Hell, and then only if the person remains unrepentant through the last moment of life.

CCC 1037 "God predestines no one to go to hell; for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end."
Old 25th November 2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

God's foreknowledge of who will be saved does not determine who will be saved; that is determined by the mysterious relationship between grace and free will. All those persons and only those persons who die unrepentant from actual mortal sin will be condemned to Hell forever. Everyone else dies in a state of grace and goes to Heaven, perhaps by way of Purgatory.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:15 AM

Is it right to believe that a person may be repentant from actual mortal sin by way of a perfect Act of Contrition at the hour of death if the sacrament of Reconciliation is not possible? I think that I read this some time ago here on catholicplanet, perhaps posted by you.

Joey