CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th September 2013, 08:33 PM

Default Heresy and the Apostasy

Insightful article on your blog today Ron. For those who havenít read it yet, ďThe Big Questions in Dogmatic TheologyĒ answers the question of whether the Pope, Ecumenical Council or the body of Bishops can fall into heresy.

I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to conservative Catholics falling into heresy by exalting Saintly opinion above magisterial teachings to the point of believing their writings are dogma in and of themselves. This inevitably leads to confusion, dissention and ultimately heresy when the opinions of the Saints arenít in line with the teachings of the Magisterium. As much as I admire the Saints and try to pattern my life based on their examples, I also find that I have to remind myself that their teachings arenít always an accurate reflection of the magisterial teachings.

You may have addressed this in a previous post and I apologize if Iíve overlooked it, but would you say that a contributing factor to the great apostasy could also be the crackdown on Catholics who ultimately choose to remain in a state of heresy? Essentially forcing them out of the Church? That makes sense to me but just seems at odds with the Popeís recent messages.
Old 26th September 2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCatholic View Post
You may have addressed this in a previous post and I apologize if Iíve overlooked it, but would you say that a contributing factor to the great apostasy could also be the crackdown on Catholics who ultimately choose to remain in a state of heresy? Essentially forcing them out of the Church? That makes sense to me but just seems at odds with the Popeís recent messages.

I think that the great apostasy occurs in two steps. First, the teachings of Pope Francis offend conservatives, and they depart from the Church. Second, the next Pope will be very conservative, and his teaching will offend liberals, and they will depart from the Church. I don't think the great apostasy is caused by formal excommunications, but by persons who reject the Church's teaching, and so choose to depart from Her fold.