CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Medjugorje and Garabandal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th November 2013, 01:06 PM
Administrator

A decision on the authenticity of Medjugorje is of the (fallible) temporal authority of the Church. It is not a teaching of the Magisterium. If one Pope disapproves of Medjugorje, a subsequent Pope or Council can approve of it, reversing the decision. Only infallible teachings (dogmas) are irreformable.
Old 18th November 2013, 06:01 PM
Administrator

The Pope said: "But I know a visionary", (not "visionaries"), so he might be talking about one specific person. MDM is one visionary, but there also other false ones - regarding one person. Medjugorge has visionaries. But anywho, the Pope's message (reading the whole context) is a very good one.
Old 18th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
The Pope said: "But I know a visionary", (not "visionaries"), so he might be talking about one specific person. MDM is one visionary, but there also other false ones - regarding one person. Medjugorge has visionaries. But anywho, the Pope's message (reading the whole context) is a very good one.

He said "but I know a visionary" by way of repeating what some Catholics say. There is no indication that he was speaking about a particular visionary.
Old 18th November 2013, 11:39 PM

Ron, do you think the possibility of a negative judgement on Medj. may trigger a falling away from the Church ?
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14
Old 18th November 2013, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
Ron, do you think the possibility of a negative judgement on Medj. may trigger a falling away from the Church ?

I think that the Pope will give formal disapproval to a large number of claimed private revelations, most of them false, along with Medjugorje and Garabandal. The result might be hundreds of thousands of persons falling away from the Church.

But the main impetus to the great apostasy is not on the topic of private revelation. Many conservatives will fall away from the Church, in response to Pope Francis' teaching on salvation and on the ordination of women deacons. Then many liberals will fall away in response to his conservative successor's teachings on ethics, marriage, the Eucharist, and perhaps other topics.
Old 19th November 2013, 04:32 PM

I also think a lot of people are fickle and impatient. The longer we wait for the Warning and other secrets of Medjugorje and Garabandal, the more people will move away from the Faith.
Old 21st November 2013, 01:36 AM

Default Medj unlikely to be disapproved

At the risk of having this post removed, IMHO the Vatican clearly will not approve Medjugorje (until all the visionaries are dead--as Vicka stated).

However, there will not be a concrete decision one way or the other.
The current inquiry will result in the Vatican saying that claimed apparitions
there are on-going & thus it is premature for the Vatican to make a determination as to their validity.
Old 13th November 2014, 05:46 AM

I actually kinda think Pope Francis thinks favorbly upon Medjugorje. Though, I don't think he'll approve it, either. I suspect that things will remain the same there, or that Shrine status will be granted.

Medjugorje Today actually had an article about Pope Francis inviting Medjugorje representatives to the Marian Day of Prayer on October 2013.

As it says in the article:

Quote:
The representatives from Medjugorje were invited to be present though Medjugorje is still not offically recognized, neither as a shrine, nor as a place of apparitions. This did not happen to representatives from any other such place. Furthermore, the group were seated very close to the Pope on both days.

“It is noteworthy that among the Marian shrines officially recognized, like Fatima, Lourdes, Banneux, Guadalupe, etc., the Pope also wished for the presence of the representatives of Medjugorje! In fact, Medjugorje was the only Marian shrine unrecognized (or “not yet recognized”) among all these shrines with a glorious past!”

There was another article where it seems like Pope Francis may be hinting his favor towards it. But it's really too difficult to say for certain.