CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th January 2014, 08:54 PM

Default Hello CP members

Greetings to all. What a find this site is! I look forward to learning more about my faith from all of you. I am especially interested in matters of social justice and how seriously Catholics should take the continuing situation of poverty in all our countries. Our faith should be a light to the world. Pope Francis is focusing our attention on this most intransigent problem. Creative solutions have been proposed and existing economic systems criticized. How engaged should lay Catholics be in shaping the world and what guidance can our long tradition provide?
Old 11th January 2014, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the group, Ambrose.

I'm interested in Pope Francis' teachings on social justice and economics. He covers the topic in his recent Apostolic Exhortation. In it, he criticizes both the left and the right for their economic views: the left for overuse of social welfare programs, and the right for assuming that an unregulated free market will take care of the poor (by trickle down economics).

There is no substitute for compassion and ethical choices in economics. No rout system can bring justice to the poor. Only caring persons can do so.
Old 11th January 2014, 09:17 PM
Administrator

[Luke]
{16:1} And he also said to his disciples: “A certain man was wealthy, and he had a steward of his estate. And this man was accused to him of having dissipated his goods.
{16:2} And he called him and said to him: ‘What is this that I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship. For you can no longer be my steward.’
{16:3} And the steward said within himself: ‘What shall I do? For my lord is taking the stewardship away from me. I am not strong enough to dig. I am too ashamed to beg.
{16:4} I know what I will do so that, when I have been removed from the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.’
{16:5} And so, calling together each one of his lord’s debtors, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my lord?’
{16:6} So he said, ‘One hundred jars of oil.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your invoice, and quickly, sit down and write fifty.’
{16:7} Next, he said to another, ‘In truth, how much do you owe?’ And he said, ‘One hundred measures of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your record books, and write eighty.’
{16:8} And the lord praised the iniquitous steward, in that he had acted prudently. For the sons of this age are more prudent with their generation than are the sons of light.
{16:9} And so I say to you, make friends for yourself using iniquitous mammon, so that, when you will have passed away, they may receive you into the eternal tabernacles.
{16:10} Whoever is faithful in what is least, is also faithful in what is greater. And whoever is unjust in what is small, is also unjust in what is greater.
{16:11} So then, if you have not been faithful with iniquitous mammon, who will trust you with what is true?
{16:12} And if you have not been faithful with what belongs to another, who will give you what is yours?
{16:13} No servant is able to serve two lords. For either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will cling to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”
{16:14} But the Pharisees, who were greedy, were listening to all these things. And they ridiculed him.

The Pharisees of today are ridiculing Pope Francis for teaching that money must be used to help those in need.
Old 11th January 2014, 10:24 PM

Welcome Ambrose to the group!!
-Jay
Old 11th January 2014, 11:43 PM

Default Welcome from Ireland

Ambrose

You have indeed found a good resource.
Thank God for giving us this blessing.
Bless Ron and all here.
Old 12th January 2014, 01:39 PM

Welcome Ambrose!
Old 13th January 2014, 05:23 PM