CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th March 2014, 10:08 PM

Default Recalling Sins in Purgatory

Ron I have a question regarding purgatory. Recently, Ive read some brief writings of the Servant of God Cora Evans in which she states that souls in purgatory no longer remember their sins.

In God's Purgatorial Mercy, sins can not be thought about or remembered because this would disturb peace. By removing sins from memory, God removes the possibility of sinning for all time. The Captain of the Ship by Cora Evans

I seem to recall other writings that speak of souls recalling previous sins but unfortunately I have forgotten those sources. But at first glance it would seem strange to be in purgatory without knowing for which sins were in need of purification for.

Could you tell me what the correct theological answer would be?
Old 26th March 2014, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Let's start with the remembering or forgetting of sins in Heaven. It is said that God forgets the sins of the blessed in Heaven. This figure of speech means that God no longer imputes those sins to the individual: they are entirely forgiven in guilt and in temporal punishment.

In Purgatory, without doubt, the souls are tormented by the infused knowledge of their own sins given at the particular judgement. But as these sins and their temporal punishment are remitted by suffering in grace, they are "forgotten". And the soul then moves on to consider the next set of sins and the harm caused by those sins, until all is remitted and the soul enters Heaven.

But I don't think that the individual is literally unable to remember their sins; it is rather something that no longer haunts their conscience and is no longer the focus of their experience in purgatory or in Heaven.
Old 26th March 2014, 09:22 PM

Thank you very much Ron. That makes sense to me.