CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th July 2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Is monogenism a dogma?

Ron,

I personally believe that Adam was one man and Eve one woman. However, there are some Catholics saying that this is not a dogma, so that there is room for the possibility that Adam may have been a "group of men" and Eve a "group of women". Is it true that Adam, as literally one man, is not a dogma? (To me, even if it is not a defined dogma yet, I don't see how polygenism can fit with Sacred Scripture. We also have the help of true private revelations such as Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich which helps us to understand that Adam was one man).
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 24th July 2014, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Ron,

I personally believe that Adam was one man and Eve one woman. However, there are some Catholics saying that this is not a dogma, so that there is room for the possibility that Adam may have been a "group of men" and Eve a "group of women". Is it true that Adam, as literally one man, is not a dogma? (To me, even if it is not a defined dogma yet, I don't see how polygenism can fit with Sacred Scripture. We also have the help of true private revelations such as Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich which helps us to understand that Adam was one man).

There is no explicitly stated dogma of one man and one woman [as the origins of the human race]. However, I would argue that other dogmas, such as on original sin, necessarily imply that the human race began with a literal Adam and Eve.

Are we required by faith to believe that Adam and Eve were two real historical persons?
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/0...al-historical/
Old 24th July 2014, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Ok, thank you Ron.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26