CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Books and articles by Ron Conte
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2014, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Questions for readers

I'm currently working on two new books, hopefully to be ready by Dec or Jan. One book is on the subject of healthy eating and reducing risk of heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. The other book discusses how we might reconcile the Biblical teaching on Adam and Eve with evolution.

I'm interested in what my readers think of these two topics? Is either topic of interest to you? Which other topics would you like to see me write about? Are there any theological issues or questions you would like me to address in future books, booklets, and articles?

On another subject, I'm thinking of reinstating the supporting membership program here at CatholicPlanet discussion group. Previously, it was $12/month for members willing to contribute financially to the group. Comments or suggestions on this idea?
Old 19th September 2014, 03:54 PM
Administrator

To me, those two book topics are a must buy.

Does the first also include some form of exercises? - (Catholic spiritual and physical exercises not to confuse it with yoga or pagan intended rites).

On Adam and Eve, I have read your articles on your blog and here and I'm very interested on those topics and it would be great to have them explained on a book. i.e. what was Paradise?, how Adam and Eve came from Paradise to this corrupted earth, non-behavioral humans, etc.

But first, just an optional suggestion, if, at the beginning of the book, you could explain how Faith and science can reconcile, since science studies how natural law works and Faith explains why those natural laws work. There are things which science cannot prove such as dreams, feelings, values such as kindness, etc., and those are not necessarily false. Also, why there is a God, how things "matter" cannot be created out of nothing by itself (I know I was nothing a year before I was born and I did not create myself - I was born because of my parents union, the same for my parents, my parents' parents, going back and back). Science is explaining now how the Cosmos was *created* by a Big Bang, but then, how that Big Bang was occasioned in the first place?. When there is order, there is intelligence (If I find a book in the desert, I immediately deduce that there was a human being there before. I don't say: "Ah!, what a causality! a book was form out of nothing here!". I know that an intelligent enough being to make or read a book [a human] was there before me) , and in the Cosmos there is order, mathematical order (Ex: we can calculate way ahead of time when comet Halley will pass close to earth again - mid-2061, it is because of mathematical calculations of [mathematical] natural laws), etc. If matter disappears, space and time disappears with it; therefore, there is an eternal creator of all things, we call God. God is the creator of the natural laws; therefore, when science studies natural laws, and finds a definitive answer to a question (not mere theories), it cannot contradict with the Author of those same laws that He Himself has created. Also, if the Cosmos had a beginning (the Big Bang), this means that the Cosmos is not eternal. The Cosmos has an age (about 13.8 billion years). Nothing was before the Cosmos, and nothing can make nothing. With nothing, nothing happens.

An idea for another book in the future, could be an Q&A book (or most FAQ in Catholicism). The book may include many questions, and may have quick or longer answers depending on the question.

The questions can be the ones we have asked here on this board over the time and can be organized depending on the topic of the question i.e. on God (atheism), Scripture, on marriage, on science, angels, demons, soul, the Virgin Mary, the Saints, Jesus Christ, the Church, sin, Heave, Hell, Purgatory, the Sacraments.

Questions could be:

Is the Bible a scientific book?

How Jonah could have been inside a "whale" or big fish during three days?

Why do I have to marry when I can live with my love partner without doing so?

Can a Catholic practice yoga?

Etc.

I may have more suggestions on a later time.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 19th September 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 19th September 2014, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Brother.

The book on Adam and Eve does have a chapter discussing the Big Bang theory (which was invented by a Catholic priest) and various questions on the origin of the universe as well as the origin of living things.
Old 19th September 2014, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Great, thank you Ron.

For the book on Adam and Eve and the origins, I recall the following questions:

What about dinosaurs?

- T-Rexes could not have been in Paradise since we find in their fossils that they had sharp teeth, therefore, they were carnivore species. In order to survive, they necessarily had to kill other living creatures and there were no death in Paradise (before the Fall).

Also, another question: Did Adam and Eve "needed" food in order to survive?

This question was discussed on this thread:
http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5561
Old 19th September 2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

In my view, Paradise (the garden of Eden) was never a place on earth. It is like earth, yet unfallen. That is why it is figuratively described (as to location) using four rivers, two known rivers of earth and two unknown rivers. Paradise is a separate place, not part of this earth.
Old 19th September 2014, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
In my view, Paradise (the garden of Eden) was never a place on earth. It is like earth, yet unfallen. That is why it is figuratively described (as to location) using four rivers, two known rivers of earth and two unknown rivers. Paradise is a separate place, not part of this earth.

Yes, that would be a great book for me to read.
Old 19th September 2014, 08:24 PM

I would be very interested to read your book regarding Adam & Eve and look forward to its publication but I’ve never been much into the health genre unless it ties into the faith somehow.

I have to say that you’ve written so extensively throughout the years between your blog, books and this discussion forum that I’m hard pressed to think of any topic that hasn’t been covered in great depth. I would, however, like to learn more about the theological and practical aspects of suffering. Perhaps why Christ had to suffer on the cross and what suffering does for us when offered up for ourselves and others. What have the saints said about suffering? Fasting and mortification? Etc….

You may get more participation with the supporting membership if there were some advantages. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Weekly or monthly newsletter given only to supporting members on various topics.
2. Online access to read your books.

Another idea may be to offer certain membership levels such as Junior/Senior Member (I’m sure there are much better “names”). A promotion to each level may be demonstrated by length of membership, quality and number of posts, theological knowledge, etc… This may breathe new life into the discussion forum.

In any case, these are just my two cents. I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback.
Old 19th September 2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I'm currently working on two new books, hopefully to be ready by Dec or Jan. One book is on the subject of healthy eating and reducing risk of heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. The other book discusses how we might reconcile the Biblical teaching on Adam and Eve with evolution.

I'm interested in what my readers think of these two topics? Is either topic of interest to you? Which other topics would you like to see me write about? Are there any theological issues or questions you would like me to address in future books, booklets, and articles?

On another subject, I'm thinking of reinstating the supporting membership program here at CatholicPlanet discussion group. Previously, it was $12/month for members willing to contribute financially to the group. Comments or suggestions on this idea?

Hi Ron,

I can't say these particular topics are close to my interests. However, I'd love to have a reference book on the Fundamentals of Catholic Theology, a bit like what Dr Ludwig Ott had done, but his version is outdated due to, among other things, theological developments.

My way of supporting you along the years has been to buy many of your publications either hard copy or through Kindle. Keep it up Ron!
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14
Old 19th September 2014, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I have been considering writing a book on suffering.

The healthy eating book does not tie into faith. It is aimed at helping people have healthier lives.

I like the idea of a weekly publication for supporting members only. It would be $12/month, so about $3 per edition. I would need at least several members to sign up in order to offer such a publication. The topics covered would surround recent news stories, Catholic and secular news, and my comments from the point of view of ethics, eschatology, and defense of the Faith.

If any members are interested, please post a +1 below.
Old 19th September 2014, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your support, Pontifex.

Ludwig Ott's book is still very useful, despite being more than a few years old. I would not attempt to surpass his work. My similar effort was The Catechism of Catholic Ethics, which covers moral theology, rather than dogmatic theology.

Otherwise, I prefer for now to focus on specific topics in theology.