CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Controversies about Catholicism
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th October 2014, 12:29 AM

Default Pope Francis and evolution

Dear Ron
In simple terms can you clarify for me what Pope Francis is saying about evolution. I am a little confused.
Thank you
Old 29th October 2014, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapinu33 View Post
Dear Ron
In simple terms can you clarify for me what Pope Francis is saying about evolution. I am a little confused.
Thank you

He said that scientific ideas like evolution and the big bang theory are compatible with belief in God as the Creator of the universe and the Creator of mankind.

In my understanding: The universe could not have created itself. God created the universe, but it unfolded according to natural principles inherent to Creation. Species evolved according to natural biological principles, but God guides all things by His Providence, and God chose to create mankind.
Old 29th October 2014, 04:40 AM

Thank you Ron.
So is Pope francis also saying that God created all things and the process of life, so that life on earth whilst under Gods command is in order because of the system that God put in place, therefore making it compatible to the evolution theory? Is this what the Church has always taught? It seems to be different than what Pope Benedict Emeritus was saying. I believe in the Church and never want to go against false teaching. There is so much mystery that I believe by faith alone, but find it hard to defend the Church's teaching when I am not even clear myself what the church teaches. Pope Francis has confused me more now!
Old 29th October 2014, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you Ron.
So is Pope francis also saying that God created all things and the process of life, so that life on earth whilst under Gods command is in order because of the system that God put in place, therefore making it compatible to the evolution theory? Is this what the Church has always taught? It seems to be different than what Pope Benedict Emeritus was saying. I believe in the Church and never want to go against false teaching. There is so much mystery that I believe by faith alone, but find it hard to defend the Church's teaching when I am not even clear myself what the church teaches. Pope Francis has confused me more now!

Pope Francis is allowing for the possibility that evolution and the big bang are true. He is not teaching those theories. Most of the post above is my own understanding.

Pope John Paul II and Pope Pius XII also spoke about evolution, allowing for the possibility that the lower species and even the human body were prepared in this way:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pi...eneris_en.html

My speculative theology on the topic is in my book
Adam and Eve versus Evolution
Old 29th October 2014, 02:38 PM
Administrator

What the Pope has said does not contradict with our Faith at all. Faith and science go together since both are in search of the truth (Faith is always above reason but they can not be separated or divorced) and when a truth is found or discovered, it cannot contradict for God is not contradiction and God Himself is the Creator of things and of the natural laws. The book of Genesis has literal elements (Adam and Eve, the first two persons) but also has many figurative elements (7 days of creation, etc.).

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...ardship-43494/
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 30th October 2014, 01:41 AM

Thank you so much to you Ron and to you Brother for being so tolerant of my lack of understanding. If someone asks me " do you believe In evolution?" I always said no. I believe in The book of Genesis. So now am I going against the Church by saying that?
Old 30th October 2014, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you so much to you Ron and to you Brother for being so tolerant of my lack of understanding. If someone asks me " do you believe In evolution?" I always said no. I believe in The book of Genesis. So now am I going against the Church by saying that?

No. You don't have to believe in evolution. It is not Church teaching. The Pope was simply saying that evolution is not incompatible with Church teaching.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:31 AM

I am currently reading "Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial, and Other Questions From the Astronomers' Inbox at the Vatican Observatory." It is written by Vatican Astronomers Father Paul Mueller, SJ and Brother Guy Consolmagno, SJ.

It addresses exactly this (larger) issue: that Science and Faith are never incompatible because Truth cannot contradict Truth. Often our premises may be wrong and this can seem like contradiction (especially in an era where so many are looking for a "gotcha" moment), but ultimately they must agree or they are not Truth.

Their book addresses the theme in the setting of a conversation between the two astronomers, often disagreeing on details or theories, but always humorous. Some topics discussed are the Big Bang Theory, the Salvation of Extraterrestrials, Galileo "versus" the Church, and several others. I am enjoying it immensely.
Old 30th October 2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

See my latest post:
Pope Francis on Evolution: Q and A for Catholics
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2014/1...for-catholics/
Old 31st October 2014, 02:21 AM

Thank you so much Ron!!!! The article you posted explains it fully. I am absolutely clear on the matter now. I really appreciate you taking the time. Blessings.