CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Medjugorje and Garabandal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2014, 12:33 AM

Default Is Vicka Being Disobedient?

I don't know how many of u are familiar with Medjugorje Today, but they are, imho, a pretty reliable news agency that reports on Medjugorje.

Just today, they posted this on their Facebook page.

Basically, Vicka attended a prayer meeting in Fiuggi, Italy, that was prohibited by the local bishop.

This actually greatly disturbs me, as well as all the Facebook comments saying "Amen!". I guess people don't understand how important obedience to the local bishop is.

However, I can't help to think that there's something missing in all this.

Thoughts?

Last edited by suko : 10th November 2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10th November 2014, 01:24 AM
Administrator

A faithful Catholic puts obedience to God first, then also Church teaching, conscience, and the Pope. It is a false argument used against Medjugorje to claim that any apparent disobedience to any local Bishop is a sign of pride or sin or unfaithfulness.
Old 10th November 2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
A faithful Catholic puts obedience to God first, then also Church teaching, conscience, and the Pope. It is a false argument used against Medjugorje to claim that any apparent disobedience to any local Bishop is a sign of pride or sin or unfaithfulness.
Just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying, but if the local bishop makes a public prohibition for a seer to not do something, it's ok (in some circumstances) for the visionary to do it anyway?
Old 10th November 2014, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suko View Post
Just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying, but if the local bishop makes a public prohibition for a seer to not do something, it's ok (in some circumstances) for the visionary to do it anyway?

Yes. But that's not the situation you described above. The Bishop prohibited a prayer meeting; she attended. I don't think she was given an order by the Bishop directly.

In any case, persons who have not made a promise or vow of obedience are in a different position regarding the Bishop. No one's salvation depends on obedience to a local Bishop (apart from issues of heresy or schism or other grave matters).
Old 11th November 2014, 12:27 AM

It always sheds a little doubt when these things happen. The messages are always in line with Church teaching and the Bible. I can't imagine the Virgin Mary allowing Vicka to be obedient to a Bishop. It rocks the cradle.
Old 11th November 2014, 09:25 PM

With so many people scrutinizing her every action, I think Vicka should be careful about what she does. Few Catholics are able to distinguish between the points that Ron makes above. If any Catholic views Vicka’s actions as a type of righteous disobedience then that could lead them astray in other areas of grave matter. The Medjugorje seer may have not been required to adhere to the Bishop’s request in this case but it would have behooved her to have obeyed his request regardless, at the very least to minimize any scandal and set an example of overall obedience to the Church. With so many other polarizing issues coming up in the Church, it’s now more important than ever to show solidarity with our Church leaders to avoid a possible schism.
Old 11th November 2014, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I don't agree. She should pray and follow her conscience. It is not our place to second guess her actions based on claims we hear online.
Old 11th November 2014, 10:49 PM

Didn't Our Lady tell the Fatima children to be obedient to the Church? I thought I had read that somewhere. I find it hard to believe that Our Lady for the authenticity of the messages of Medjugorje would allow her to be disobedient to a bishop.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapinu33 View Post
Didn't Our Lady tell the Fatima children to be obedient to the Church? I thought I had read that somewhere. I find it hard to believe that Our Lady for the authenticity of the messages of Medjugorje would allow her to be disobedient to a bishop.

The Church has never taught absolute obedience to a local Bishop. And no local Bishop requires that all the Catholics in his diocese be obedient to his every rule and order. Obedience to a local Bishop is not equivalent to obedience to the Church.

See my post here:
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2014/1...-pope-francis/

Faithful disagreement with the Pope is possible in matters of discipline and even doctrine. And the same can be said, more so, of a local Bishop.

The Gospel is:
Love God above all else.
Love your neighbor as yourself.
We should not be replacing love of God and neighbor with obedience to local Bishops.

Obedience to the Church is to receive the Sacraments, to believe Her infallible teachings with the full assent of faith and Her non-infallible teachings with religious assent, and to follow Her disciplines.

No one's salvation depends on obedience to the local Bishop, nor even to the local Bishops' Conference.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I don't agree. She should pray and follow her conscience. It is not our place to second guess her actions based on claims we hear online.

Very true….she should do just that. And I’m basing my statements under the assumption that the news report was fairly accurate in that a Bishop prohibited her from attending a prayer meeting and she attended anyway. I realize there may be extenuating circumstances at play that we’re not aware of.

However, these visionaries are no longer just average folk like us. They influence a very large segment of the Catholic population. As such, any negative action or word from them carries with it the potential to do great harm to the Church and her people. My point is simply that with her unique position comes a greater responsibility than what would be expected of the rest of us.