CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Other Religions/Spirituality
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th December 2013, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default Which Religions Should be Considered True Religions?

Which religions should be considered true religions?

In one sense, we might say that Catholic Christianity is the only true religion, since it is the fullest source of religious and moral truth on earth. Yet in another sense, we can also say that any religion based on the love of God above all else and the love of neighbor as self is a true religion. For the heart of Catholic Christianity is the love of God and neighbor. Whoever worships God in the light of that love, worships in truth.
Old 11th December 2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Some Catechists teach that Catholicism is not a "Religion", but a way of living the Faith.

Maybe they are misinterpreting the word "Religion"? What is the true meaning of Religion?
Old 11th December 2013, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Some Catechists teach that Catholicism is not a "Religion", but a way of living the Faith.

Maybe they are misinterpreting the word "Religion"? What is the true meaning of Religion?

magisterial documents refer to Catholicism as a religion.

Pope Pius IX, Pope Pius X, and Pope Leo XIII all use the phrase: "our most holy religion".

So those catechists are mistaken. Catholicism is Christianity, properly understood and lived; it is not merely one of many ways or options for living as a Christian.
Old 11th December 2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the information Ron.

So, it's well said that people enter into a "religious" order.
Old 14th December 2013, 03:02 AM

So if people live according to their religions laws do they go to Heaven?
Old 14th December 2013, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapinu33 View Post

It's complicated. If a religion is truly based on the love of God and neighbor, and if the person lives according to that love -- which implies avoiding (or at least repenting from) mortal sin -- then, yes, the individual would go to Heaven. But if they know of Christianity and reject it, this choice must not be an actual mortal sin.
Old 15th December 2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It's complicated. If a religion is truly based on the love of God and neighbor, and if the person lives according to that love -- which implies avoiding (or at least repenting from) mortal sin -- then, yes, the individual would go to Heaven. But if they know of Christianity and reject it, this choice must not be an actual mortal sin.

Thanks Ron but....
Do you mean it is a mortal sin if they know about Christianity and then reject it?
It's hard to understand for example if a person is born into an evangelical Christian family and generally knows about the Catholic faith but is faithful their whole life to what they have been taught then will they go to heaven?
I thought the Catholic Church teaches that only Catholics can go to heaven. I remember reading once that Our Lady in Medjugorge when asked of the holiest people in the vicinity that 2 Muslim women were the most holy, or something like that. I have many family members who are not Catholic and are good people. I pray for them.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:21 AM

For me..., Buddhism philosophy come second below Catholicism, I think Buddhism philosophy is based on the same line with the first rule of love Jesus said Himself, Love God above all else, and love your neighbor ..., take a look at their noble eightfold path http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

Quote:

I don't know, who will go to Heaven, but remembering "Good Samaritan Story", Jesus prefer that good Samaritan man over the "religious" one ... , and that good Samaritan man, doesn't know Jesus, doesn't know God, he just know "love your neighbor ..."

Just for sharing and discussion

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 15th December 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 15th December 2013, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Ron but....
Do you mean it is a mortal sin if they know about Christianity and then reject it?
It's hard to understand for example if a person is born into an evangelical Christian family and generally knows about the Catholic faith but is faithful their whole life to what they have been taught then will they go to heaven?
I thought the Catholic Church teaches that only Catholics can go to heaven. I remember reading once that Our Lady in Medjugorge when asked of the holiest people in the vicinity that 2 Muslim women were the most holy, or something like that. I have many family members who are not Catholic and are good people. I pray for them.

It is objectively a mortal sin to know about Christianity and reject it. But in order for that rejection to cause the loss of salvation, it would have to be an actual mortal sin: objectively grave act committed with full knowledge of its grave immorality and full deliberation.

So a Protestant, in the example you give, may still go to Heaven because he does not realize that Catholicism is the truest form of Christianity.

The idea that only Catholics can go to Heaven has been condemned by the Church as a grave error (called Feeneyism).

Mary at Medjugorje was asked which person in that town was holiest. She replied with an example of one Muslim woman who was one of the holiest persons in the town.

Anyone who dies in a state of grace has eternal life, but they might have to spend some time in Purgatory first.

I'm certain that many non-Catholics and non-Christians go to Heaven. You might want to read a brief talk by Pope John Paul II on this topic:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...9950531en.html
Old 15th December 2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
For me..., Buddhism philosophy come second below Catholicism, I think Buddhism philosophy is based on the same line with the first rule of love Jesus said Himself, Love God above all else, and love your neighbor ..., take a look at their noble eightfold path http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

Buddhism is not second to Christianity as a path to Heaven.

I would rank religious belief in this way:
Catholic Christianity
Orthodox Christianity
Protestant Christianity
Judaism
moderate Islam

Buddhism would have to rank below any religion that believes in one eternal Creator God, and that teaches love of God as well as love of neighbor