CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2015, 08:14 AM

Default Can prayers drive away hurricane?

Can prayers drive away powerful hurricane?

There was a big alarm of a super-typhoon gripping the country during this past Holy Week to make a landfall to greet us on Easter Sunday with horrendous devastation. Luckily it dissipated until all we got was a darker over-cast skies on that glorious day yesterday.

Catholic broadcasters were quick to give credit to Divine Intervention due to the prayers of the masses!

But I say what? I donít think it has to do with prayers. Not anymore do I looked up to it as Heavenly work. My reference point being that of Pope Francisí visit here in the Philippines this past January. The nation was ravaged by a typhoon that His Holinessí planned whole-day affair in Tacloban City was shortened to a half-day as he needed to fly back to Manila for his safety. Later that day the Holy Father consoled the family of a young lady killed by a fallen debri at the site of the Holy Mass the pope officiated earlier that day.

The next day during an open-field Mass, the crowd of estimated 7 million has to endure a pouring rain. Needless to say millions were armed with prayers for that occasion yet the typhoon still came. Come typhoon and high water, nature has its course even the Pope gets wet on his important day!

My one-cent opinion; sure I could be wrong. Whatís your take on this, Ron.

Happy Easter, too!
Old 6th April 2015, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Prayer can divert hurricanes or typhoons, diminish bad weather, bring helpful rains, etc. Prayer can stop a war or prevent a war. But at the present time, few persons pray devoutly. And for prayer to be most effective, people would need to repent first, and give up their sins. So while prayer can move mountains, the sinfulness of the present generation weakens our ability to affect events with prayer.
Old 6th April 2015, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Well, prayers can surely stop bad weather (Matt 8:27), it's all up to our faith. And on Easter Sunday, graces overflow and God is generous, so it's a especial day to pray to God.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 11th April 2015, 09:18 AM

Question Oratio Imperata

According to a recent article online, the priests and the faithful living along the direct path of the super-typhoon recited the prayer "Oratio Imperata" in nine different parishes (as in a novena). They are now testifying gratefully.

Ron, can you kindly expound more on this "Oratio Imperata"?
Old 11th April 2015, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I'm not familiar with that prayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oratio_Imperata