CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2015, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Divine Mercy Sunday

Remember that the Divine Mercy Devotion is this weekend. Go to Confession, Mass and Communion, and pray for the intentions of the Pope to be forgiven for all sin and all punishment for sin. Confessions up to 8 days before or after Divine Mercy Sunday count toward the devotion (longer for a good reason).
Old 12th April 2015, 12:13 AM

Default Divine Mercy Sunday

Praise God,

My whole family will be attending Divine Mercy Sunday tomorrow! When I pray tonight, I will ask our Blessed Mother to draw all of our Catholic brothers and sisters to the fount of our Lord's Mercy tomorrow...

In Christ
Frado
Old 12th April 2015, 11:52 AM

Ron,

I believe you have left out some very important detail about the graces available through Divine Mercy Sunday.

In order to receive the forgiveness of all sin and punishment due for sin the following is required:

1. The completion of a nine day novena in preparation for the feast of Divine Mercy.
2. A corporal act of mercy in the week preceding
3. A spiritual act of mercy in the week preceding
4. Confession on the day or the day before.
5. Pure intention to amend your ways and desist sin
6. Reception of Holy Communion
7. Attendance at a Mass solely dedicated to Divine Mercy typically at the 3.00pm hour where the homily is on the topic of Divine Mercy.
8. At the Mass the Divine Mercy image should be blessed and placed in a place of prominence.
9. The image should be venerated

Prayers for the pope is not mentioned as necessary in the devotion but that never hurts to be added in certainly.

It is my understanding that all this is required for the indulgence to be received.

If I am mislead it would be good to know but I have read all of this in various books.
Old 12th April 2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Hands of Truth -- you are mistaken.

1. The completion of a nine day novena in preparation for the feast of Divine Mercy.
-- not necessary to forgiveness of sin and punishment; it is a separate praiseworthy devotion.

2. A corporal act of mercy in the week preceding
3. A spiritual act of mercy in the week preceding
-- neither of these two things are required at all.

4. Confession on the day or the day before.
-- There is no such limit.

5. Pure intention to amend your ways and desist sin
-- Not required for Divine Mercy Sunday devotion. This is a distorted explanation of the requirement for a plenary indulgence (correctly stated as: no attachment to even venial sin).

6. Reception of Holy Communion
-- Did I not say that?

7. Attendance at a Mass solely dedicated to Divine Mercy typically at the 3.00pm hour where the homily is on the topic of Divine Mercy.
-- Not at all required. No such requirement in the messages to Saint Faustina or the Church's discipline on DM Sunday.

8. At the Mass the Divine Mercy image should be blessed and placed in a place of prominence.
9. The image should be venerated
-- praiseworthy, but not required for the forgiveness of sin and punishment.

Prayers for the pope is not mentioned as necessary in the devotion but that never hurts to be added in certainly.
-- Agreed. It's a usual condition for a plenary indulgence, not necessary for DM Sunday.

It is my understanding that all this is required for the indulgence to be received.
-- Not at all.

If I am mislead it would be good to know but I have read all of this in various books.
-- where are you getting these claims?

Jesus to Saint Faustina: "The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment."
http://thedivinemercy.org/mercysunday/christswords.php
Old 12th April 2015, 01:46 PM

This is one source but not one of the sources I obtained the information through:

http://thedivinemercy.org/mercysunday/faq.php
Old 12th April 2015, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Truth View Post
This is one source but not one of the sources I obtained the information through:

http://thedivinemercy.org/mercysunday/faq.php

That source doesn't say what you wrote above. You are confusing the various graces available through various devotions with the particular grace of forgiveness from all sin and punishment. From that site (thedivinemercy.org):

"In short, the Lord promised that the devout use of these special novena intentions would bring many graces to souls. But that is not the same thing as what are known as the "extraordinary graces" of Divine Mercy Sunday. These are obtained solely by receiving Holy Communion in a state of grace, with great trust in God's mercy, on Mercy Sunday itself."

The same site discusses how long before or after DM Sunday one may go to Confession. They don't answer definitively. They opine that you could go 10, 20, or 30 days before. However, on a related point, I think it is a mistake to say that you only need to be in a state of grace; Jesus did say explicitly that you need to go to Confession.

The most common interpretation is up to 20 days before or after, since that is the common rule for plenary indulgences. The DM Sunday forgiveness is simply a special type of plenary indulgence, not requiring the usual conditions of a prayer for the Pope's intentions and detachment from even venial sin.

The forgiveness available on DM Sunday is a special act of God's mercy precisely because it has reduced requirements from a plenary indulgence. If all of the conditions you listed above were necessary for that forgiveness, it would be more restrictive and more difficult to obtain than a plenary indulgence. So that cannot be the case.
Old 13th April 2015, 11:15 AM

Saint Faustina spoke of the graces of Divine Mercy Sunday being like a second baptism. There is a very significant effort to distinguish this grace from a plenary indulgence or other forms of grace offered by the Church. Therefore, that would suggest, to me an extra effort for grace would be required by us to receive it.

It would seem more prudent for us to be properly disposed to receive the graces. The practices mentioned as recommended before Divine Mercy Sunday are recommended for our benefit that our hearts be prepared to receive a grace which would mean we would enter Heaven if we died immediately after receiving them.

If our hearts are not disposed to enter heaven immediately after receiving the grace then would that not logically imply we still require purification and more mercy?

It seems more likely that through the novena we are granted the graces for our hearts to be disposed to holiness. The acts of mercy open our hearts to the good of our fellow man. Veneration of the Divine Mercy image also enhances our disposition toward seeing God's love and mercy. Finally, the Mass being ordered toward Divine Mercy would do the same thing.

I have trouble accepting that people can perform a formula of acts and be granted access to heaven without the heart being disposed. It does not appear logical.

Last edited by Hands of Truth : 13th April 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 13th April 2015, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Making a good Confession and receiving holy Communion in a state of grace are not a formula of acts.

The point of the DM Sunday is that it is easier than by other means to obtain forgiveness from sin and punishment. Your list is fine as a set of recommendations, for those who wish to do more. But there is no basis for claiming that the full forgiveness of DM Sunday requires all those things.

I am closing this thread.