CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st September 2015, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Sources of morality can be found on the C.C.C., #'s 1750 to 1761.

1753 and 1756, specifically.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 21st September 2015, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Veritatis Splendor is the most extensive source of magisterial teaching on the basic principles of ethics. See also the CCC citations given by Brother above.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-pa...-splendor.html
Old 24th September 2015, 10:49 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll read that.
Old 24th September 2015, 11:14 AM

Just one more question, to help me understand better :

Imagine there is a big object that will crush and kill my wife. I can push the object in the opposite direction, but it will automatically kill a man I don't know (imagine my wife and the man are both tied, so they can move). Is it a sin to push the object?
Old 24th September 2015, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz View Post
Just one more question, to help me understand better :

Imagine there is a big object that will crush and kill my wife. I can push the object in the opposite direction, but it will automatically kill a man I don't know (imagine my wife and the man are both tied, so they can move). Is it a sin to push the object?

Yes. Your act has two moral objects, saving your wife and killing an innocent. The former object is good, but the latter is evil, so the act is intrinsically evil.

You can't perform a direct abortion to save the life of your wife. And you can't murder your wife to save the life of your children.
Old 25th September 2015, 02:43 PM

But therefore, what is the difference between this case and indirect abortion? I read that indirect abortion is moral. I my example there is an action (to push the object away from my wife) and an unwanted consequence (death of an innocent). But it seams that indirect abortion is in the same situation : there is an action (to remove the diseased uterus) and an unwanted consequence (the death of the fetus which is enclosed in the womb). So what's the difference?
Old 25th September 2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz View Post
But therefore, what is the difference between this case and indirect abortion? I read that indirect abortion is moral. I my example there is an action (to push the object away from my wife) and an unwanted consequence (death of an innocent). But it seams that indirect abortion is in the same situation : there is an action (to remove the diseased uterus) and an unwanted consequence (the death of the fetus which is enclosed in the womb). So what's the difference?

What you "want" is your intention, in the first font of morality. The "consequence" is the third font of morality (circumstances). So your moral evaluation ("unwanted consequence") ignores the moral object. The death of the prenatal is not in the moral object for indirect abortion, and it is in the moral object for direct abortion.

Your hypothetical (pushing a rock) is unrealistic, and therefore does not really shed any light on the fonts of morality. The problem is that you think an act is justified if an evil is an unintended consequence (outweighed by a good consequence). That is not sufficient to justify an act under the principle of double effect. We must evaluate the moral object, to see if the act is intrinsically evil.

If you tell a venial lie to save your wife's life, the act of lying remains intrinsically evil and therefore a (venial) sin.
Old 26th September 2015, 09:19 PM

Thanks.