CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2016, 05:36 PM
Default Greetings Again!

Hi to all,

It's me back again Rob from Sicily. I never fully introduced myself when I first joined in 2007 although I have been active in the first years. So I would like to take the opportunity to describe a bit of myself and my experience.

I come from a catholic family, my mother being from eastern europe is the one that has brought me up in the faith since she, her family and people from her country had to endure a form of religious persecution under the communist rule. Her constant following and faith has had a very important impact on me since here in Italy people are generally less constant in the Faith and more "wordly" so to speak. Truly suffering and pain strenghtens christian faith.

I have never had any particular experience in my christian faith apart from two significant events which changed and strenghtened it. The first was when I was a teen, I participated in a summer camp which lasted one week with other young people who were part of a christian team. Their way to pray, testimony, daily approach to faith and life changed dramatically my christian experience which until that point had a ritualistic approach, like just going to mass and sunday school. From that I also learned one cannot simply live a christian life and faith alone without sharing it. I have been until that time but also afterward a lonely person, with almost no friends and if had any, did not really tie much with them. I also had a problem with myself, a disposition which caused me sins and I hardly dealt with because difficult and embarassing to explain. I knew however I had to find a friend, someone I could honestly talk to and open up in order to deal with it.

This occasion presented itself some years ago while I was chatting with a person who told me to be "evangelical" and by the way is also my tenth cousin (my past time is genealogical research). So my curiosity to share my faith slowly developed first in small debates, then sharing our own personal troubles and lastly common distant prayers for each other. Through this approach I managed to open in a way I never did before and really deal with myself for the first time and in a radical way. I completely changed my old ways and now I can truly say I am a different person than I used to be.

Honestly if you have difficult situations to go through, find a friend, someone you can talk to and have no fear to be embarassed, share you weaknesses and it will be easier for you when you go to confession. And it does not matter if that is someone your age, perhaps your wife/husband, which would be ideal and best. There is no better way than sharing your faith in an honest and open way, and if you can find such a friend, you have found gold.

By the way he is no longer "evangelical" and was not really from beginning, he was born catholic. It was probably a particular time of his life when wekness struck him and he departed from the faith. Although he is not a practising catholic I pray the Lord can touch him and his family, gradually and steadily. It will require time and patience, as God wills; on my part I keep by living a christian life, trying every day to act by those same teching our Lord has shown us: Humility, patience, prayer, self-denial. This is the best example I can give rather than words and let people and my friend be touched by it, and truly he is. Please pray for him I truly wish we can go to church and pray together as brothers in Faith.

Also I forgot to tell that I learned a lot through this forum run by Ron, and this is the third experience that changed my approach to Faith. His guidance in making me and us understand catholic teaching has had a huge impact. In particular I cannot forget the teaching series on the "three fonts of morality", that is something that I try to constantly recall and practice every time I have to make a moral choice. His explanation of how to apply it made it so easy to understand (and practice) but also many other topics on morality which he explains so well in a very easy language. I have benefited a lot from this.

What else? I am very happy that I have finally dealt with my own problems in the past two years which have been a blessing for me. I feel like having learned though practice more in two years than my entire life (I am almost 30). I know there are still fights to make in the future and falls will come, but this time I feel walking in the right direction with friends in faith as companions who will help anytime any one of us will fall. That is what each of us need, a community and feel part of it.

Good bless you all.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)

Last edited by Rob : 22nd March 2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:37 PM

grace and peace to you, Rob

all the members and readers of this group are in my prayers
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Old 1st April 2016, 05:53 PM
Thumbs up

Hi Rob!

Nice to see you around here!

Thank for sharing!
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26