CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2017, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Now, if for some reason, you are still not convinced that Peter had the leadership role in Jesus’ Church, let’s see what happened at the Council of Jerusalem:

Scripture tells us that Jesus is King and that He will be given the throne of David, His father:

“He [Jesus] will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David” (Luke 1:32).

Now, how do we truly know that Peter has taken the role to represent Jesus after His ascension? We discover it even more at the Council of Jerusalem. The actions taken by Peter at this Council parallels the actions taken by King David at an assemble of his time. Both taking place at Jerusalem.

“The apostles and elders met to consider this question.” (Acts 15:6).
“David summoned all the officials of Israel to assemble at Jerusalem: ….” (1 Chronicles 28:1).

“After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them….”” (Acts 15:7).
“King David rose to his feet and said: " (1 Chronicles 28:2).

“…"Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.” (Acts 15:7)

Yet the LORD, the God of Israel, chose me from my whole family to be king over Israel forever….” (1 Chronicles 28:4)

Notice the parallels are remarkable.

And after Peter settled the question, all kept quiet (Acts 15:12). So after much discussion (Acts 15:7), Peter stands up to talk, settles the matter, and after his pronouncement, people continue to be quiet during the rest of the council (Acts 15:12).

Furthermore, king Solomon, David’s son and successor, is also chosen by God (1 Chronicles 29:1). The protocol done by King David at the above mentioned assembly was not done by chance or accident, notice that another successor of his, king Jehoshaphat, also performs similarly during an assembly called by himself. In 2 Chronicles 20 we read:

The people of Judah came together to seek help from the LORD; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him. Then [King] Jehoshaphat stood up in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem at the temple of the LORD in the front of the new courtyard and said: "LORD, the God of our ancestors, …” (2 Chronicles 20:4-6).

The person who stands up in order to make a proclamation at the assemblies called by the king is precisely the king himself, for he is the one who is in leadership. The king speaks for the people or makes a proclamation.

Again, King Jehoshaphat acts the same way his ancestor David did during an assembly, and this parallels what Peter also did at the council of Jerusalem by standing up and proclaim (Acts 15:7). Peter is not the King, but he represents Jesus who is the King of Davidic line (Luke 1:32) during this time that our Lord has gone up to the Father, and as we see, this role involves successors. Peter’s authority at the council of Jerusalem is demonstrated by the same actions done by previous kings chosen by God.

The Church is Jesus’ body (1 Corinthians 12:27) and He is the Head (Colossians 1:18 ), so it is fitting that while He is absent in human form like us, He appoints one man who represents Him to continue with the administration of His Church here on earth. The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ who is a man with one head, not an animal or a monster with many heads. Therefore, there can only be one man who represents Him in this specific role and that person is he whom we call the Pope, the successor of Peter.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 8th December 2017, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Now, it is Christ Who guides His Church, the Popes and Bishops in communion with the Pope are not arbitrary in their teachings. The Catechism teaches:

“Yet this Magisterium is not superior to the Word of God, but is its servant. It teaches only what has been handed on to it. At the divine command and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it listens to this devotedly, guards it with dedication and expounds it faithfully. All that it proposes for belief as being divinely revealed is drawn from this single deposit of faith.” [48] – CCC # 86.

The Deposit if Faith is all what is found implicitly or explicitly in Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. So we cannot hold that the Catholic Church teaches “whatever She feels like teaching” which is false. Since the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and received the authority from Christ Himself to go out and preach (John 20:22-23) (Luke 10:16) (1 Tim 3:15), She has received the charism to correctly interpret, clarify or confirm what is already in Tradition and/or Sacred Scripture in an implicit or explicit manner.

The Catechism goes on to say:

“Mindful of Christ's words to his apostles: “He who hears you, hears me”, [49] (Luke 10:16) The faithful receive with docility the teachings and directives that their pastors give them in different forms.

The dogmas of the faith

The Church's Magisterium exercises the authority it holds from Christ to the fullest extent when it defines dogmas, that is, when it proposes truths contained in divine Revelation or also when it proposes in a definitive way truths having a necessary connection with them.” – CCC #’s 87 & 88.

There are things, however, that the Church does not have authority to teach, like for example, the ordaining of women as priests. Pope St. John Paul II wrote in his Apostolic Letter Ordenatio Sacerdotalis the following:

“Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.”

The Catechism also teaches:

“…No one can give himself the mandate and the mission to proclaim the Gospel. the one sent by the Lord does not speak and act on his own authority, but by virtue of Christ's authority; not as a member of the community, but speaking to it in the name of Christ. No one can bestow grace on himself; it must be given and offered. This fact presupposes ministers of grace, authorized and empowered by Christ…

…the ministry in which Christ's emissaries do and give by God's grace what they cannot do and give by their own powers, is called a “sacrament” by the Church's tradition. Indeed, the ministry of the Church is conferred by a special sacrament.” # 875.

So it’s false the claim which states that Catholics believe something simply because “the Church says so” in the sense that the Church can come up with something out of Her own arbitrarily and teach it as dogma of faith.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Sacred Scripture itself teaches that all is not written it its books and that there are some Truths that the Spirit will continue teaching us through His Church:

“Now there are also many other things that Jesus did, which, if each of these were written down, the world itself, I suppose, would not be able to contain the books that would be written.” (John 21:25).

Therefore, there are things that Jesus did which are not written in the Bible but they are contained in Sacred Tradition.

“I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now. But when the Spirit of truth has arrived, he will teach the whole truth to you. For he will not be speaking from himself. Instead, whatever he will hear, he will speak. And he will announce to you the things that are to come.” (John 16:12-13). There are things that Jesus did not say to the Apostles while He was here on earth, but He promised that the Holy Spirit will continue to guide them and, of course, their successors for He promised that He will be with them until the end of age (Matt 28:20), that is until He comes back in glory to judge the living and the dead (Matt 13:39-40) (13:49) (Matt 24).

“I have much more to write to you, but I am not willing to do so through paper and ink. For I hope that I may be with you in the future, and that I may speak face to face, so that your joy may be full.” (2 John 1:12)

“I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing, through ink and pen, to write to you.” (3 John 1:13).

Jesus entrusted His authority to the Apostles: “So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” (John 20:21).

“So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.” (2 Thes 2:15)

“if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” (1 Timothy 3:15).

Thus, the Bible itself teaches in its own writings, that it is not the sole source if instruction, guiding and teaching.

The fact that God has selected some men for the particular task of speaking for Him, or to represent Him is evident through the history of salvation. We see it in the case of Moses when our Lord tells him:

“Speak to him [Aaron], and put my words in his mouth. And I will be in your mouth and in his mouth, and I will reveal to you what you must do. He will speak for you to the people, and he will be your mouth. But you will be with him in those things that pertain to God.” – (Exodus 4:15-16)

“And the Lord said to Moses: “Behold, I have appointed you as the god of Pharaoh. And Aaron, your brother, will be your prophet.” (Exodus 7:1)

Words like “I will be in your mouth and in his mouth” or “I have appointed you as the god of Pharaoh” refers to the authority that Moses has received from God Himself in order to speak infallibly at those particular instances (for Moses is not infallible himself) for God. God appointed Moses to be his vicar, to speak in God’s place.

Then thousands of years later when Jesus came to this world, He respected the authority of those who taught from the “chair of Moses”, even though those who were in the “chair”, that is, in his position, were sinners and showed bad examples.

“Then Jesus spoke to the crowds, and to his disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have sat down in the chair of Moses. Therefore, all things whatsoever that they shall say to you, observe and do. Yet truly, do not choose to act according to their works. For they say, but they do not do. For they bind up heavy and unbearable burdens, and they impose them on men’s shoulders. But they are not willing to move them with even a finger of their own.” (Matt 23:1-4).

Jesus taught us to obey those who are in the authoritative chair of Moses, even though they showed bad example to the people. He said not to follow their own particular example because they did not follow what they themselves taught with sincerity of heart. In other words, they only wanted to be seen and acclaimed by men. Even so, Jesus taught to obey them because of the position they were at, the “chair of Moses”.
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

When, from all Eternity, God calls a person for a specific task, He also grants that same person with specific graces, charisms or gifts (tools) in order for that person to be able to fulfil his/her predetermined tasks in his/her life for the common good of the person and society (1 Cor 12:7). God gives these gifts according to His purpose in such person's life (Romans 12:6 ff). For example, married persons receive especial graces fitting for this Sacrament. “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. And before you went forth from the womb, I sanctified you. And I made you a prophet to the nations.” (Jer 1:5). But the person is free to cooperate or not with God's grace.

[Ephesians]
{4:8} … “Ascending on high, he took captivity itself captive; he gave gifts to men”.

{4:11} And the same one granted that some would be Apostles, and some Prophets, yet truly others evangelists, and others pastors and teachers,
{4:12} for the sake of the perfection of the saints, by the work of the ministry, in the edification of the body of Christ,

God decides to whom He gives these gifts to (1 Cor 12:7. 11). These particular gifts do not depend upon the person, God just grants them to the persons as He wishes based on their respective callings, capacity or positions before society (2 Tim 1:9).

Yet, none of these gifts avail to nothing for their own salvation if the person does not have supernatural love, that is selfless love thus being in the state of sanctified grace.
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

[1 Corinthians]
{13:1} If I were to speak in the language of men, or of Angels, yet not have charity, I would be like a clanging bell or a crashing cymbal.
{13:2} And if I have prophecy, and learn every mystery, and obtain all knowledge, and possess all faith, so that I could move mountains, yet not have charity, then I am nothing.
{13:3} And if I distribute all my goods in order to feed the poor, and if I hand over my body to be burned, yet not have charity, it offers me nothing.

Jesus also teaches:
[Matthew]
{7:22} Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and perform many powerful deeds in your name?’
{7:23} And then will I disclose to them: ‘I have never known you. Depart from me, you workers of iniquity.’

This is a clear indication that the gifts to be Apostle, teacher, language, knowledge etc., are given to the person for their good and the good of society use based on their callings and the positions that they have been providentially established. But these gifts (tools) that the person receives from God, avails to nothing if this person commits an actual mortal sin, thus losing the state of sanctifying grace. Therefore, one cannot conclude that just because a person seems sinful, or is a sinner, that person does not possess a particular charism from God regardless of the position there are at. As we saw previously with the Pharisees, those who were teaching from the position of Moses, Jesus taught His disciples to obey them (for the position they were at), but not act like them for they do not practiced what they taught.

Jesus told Pontius Pilate:
[John]
{19:11} ..“You would not have any authority over me, unless it were given to you from above. For this reason, he who has handed me over to you has the greater sin.”

Pilate had authority over Jesus because that particular authority was given to him by God Himself.

Note also Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest who organized the plot to kill Jesus. God granted this person the gift to prophesize infallibly, not based of his holiness, but because of the position that he was at, being the high priest.

[John]
{11:49} Then one of them, named Caiaphas, since he was the high priest that year, said to them: “You do not understand anything.
{11:50} Nor do you realize that it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people, and that the entire nation should not perish.”

{18:14} Now Caiaphas was the one who had given counsel to the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die for the people.
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Now, this has nothing to do with the claim of some self-proclaimed “prophets”, or “teachers”, or “leaders” who put themselves in positions that God has NOT called or appointed them to be. These persons are using their gifts (for we all have different kind of gifts (John 3:27)) opposite purpose than God’s purpose in their life. For these, careful discernment is needed (for discernment of private revelations see this article: http://www.catholicplanet.com/appari...evelations.htm ). However, for those who have been placed in certain positions by the owners, (legitimate) authorities, of specific institutions, this is an indication that they have been lawfully placed in those specific positions, though they need to discern if their particular gifts or skills are capable of fulfilling that particular position, according to their purpose in life as God intends in their lives.

A person cannot proclaim himself in charge of an institution without the authorization of the Owner of that institution.

For example, a man cannot proclaim himself to be the General of a particular platoon. That man needs to be appointed General by an authority within the military in order to be legitimate. A person cannot go to the army and say that he has proclaimed by himself a new General, he will be taken out and made a fool of himself.

Another example, if a man (a Knicks fan) doesn’t like the management of the NY Knicks basketball team institution, for that reason, he cannot proclaim himself the new CEO of the NY Knicks, or make a new branch of the NY Knicks and pretend that he is the new owner. He will be sued for acting in the name of the organization without authorization.

Something similar happened at the so called Protestant Reformation which was actually a revolution. True Reformation happens within the Institution, not to brake it.

Christ instituted His Church and appointed Peter and the Apostles in charge of His Church. Those with legitimate official authority within His Church needed to be appointed by those in charge.

Regarding the Papacy (the successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Peter), this is a charism received from the lips of Christ Himself (Matt 16:18 ) (28:20) (Luke 10:16) (Luke 22:32), a Divine and proven Authority, so this is not any gift but a special gift that He receives from Christ because it concerns our salvation. Thus our obedience to the Pope does not depend whether he is holy or not, whether he seems prudent or imprudent (as of matter of fact, some scholars are of the opinion that Peter was not the best qualified among the twelve Apostles to be the Principal among them. He actually had little or no education (Acts 4:13)). His level of holiness or sinfulness does not affect his teaching authority or management of Christ's Church or any of His Sacraments. Regarding a Pope's particular holiness, this will be judged by God. But regarding the charism given to the Pope, this is for our salvation’s sake so that we are not lead astray or go away from the path of salvation by being faithful in His Church. This is the reason why Jesus built His Church in the first place, so that we are not led into error (recall that even during Christ's public Ministry, some people were of the erroneous opinion that Jesus was “John the Baptist”, “Elijah”, or “some of the prophets” (Matt 16:14), BUT it was divinely revealed to Peter from God the Father the infallible truth of who Jesus is (16:16-17)). Otherwise, it wouldn’t make sense for Jesus to build a Church knowing that His faithful was going to be taught heresies and/or be led to Hell by being faithful to this very Church that He founded. IF the charism of infallibility given to the Pope (as explained above) would depend on his holiness, then Jesus wouldn’t have built His Church on the Rock, but on sand. But Jesus said that the gates of Hell will not prevail against His Church (Matt 16:18 ). Since Jesus is God, He cannot err when He says something. So, when the Pope teaches ex-cathedra, he is exercising this charism, thus we are bound under his authority. He has received the charism of infallibility (implicitly stated in Matt 16:19; Luke 10:16) which occurs only when some requirements are met (we’ll go with more details later on types of accents).
Old 9th February 2018, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Apart from Moses as noted above, another person received a particular calling, but this time for the unique role in the event of the mystery of the incarnation of the Son of God. His name was Joseph. The New Testament Joseph. Now, keep in mind that God is a communion of Persons. One God, three Persons. Father, Son and Holy Spirit (for more on the Trinity, see post dated “7th August 2017” on the second page continuing to the third page: http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/...?t=6063&page=2 ). Since the Second Person of the Holy Trinity (Jesus) was to become incarnate, it was fitting for Him to have a human/visible father on this earth and fitting for the Virgin Mary to have a human/visible husband at her side. Therefore, St. Joseph was called to be God the Father’s representative here on earth, to be His vicar, to the extent of human fatherly capacity (for God transcends human fatherhood). “It was to assure fatherly protection for Jesus that God chose Joseph to be Mary's spouse”. “It is also important to uphold Mary's marriage to Joseph, because juridically Joseph's fatherhood depends on it”. In the Gospel narrative we see that St. Joseph "... is not deprived of his fatherly authority from the moment that he is told to name the child”. “…Even the Virgin Mary, well aware that she has not conceived Christ as a result of conjugal relations with Joseph, still calls him Christ's father.” – (For more info, you can see Redimptoris Custos # 7 by St. John Paul II).

Certainly, God the Father is not a man and He did not incarnate. God is infinitely greater than all creation, but here we are considering St. Joseph’s role only to the extent that his relationship with Jesus as a human father figure in the Holy Family and society, thus being in the place of, or representing God the Father to the extent of human fatherhood (for God goes beyond mere human fatherhood or any created thing (Luke 14:26) and we may physically leave our parents when getting married (Matthew 19:5), but God never leaves us). Now, since Mary was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit (the Third Person of the Holy Trinity), it is traditionally maintained in a mystical and spiritual sense, that Mary is the ‘spouse’ of the Holy Spirit. It is St. Joseph who takes this call to be Mary’s husband. “While clearly affirming that Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and that virginity remained intact in the marriage (cf. Mt 1:18-25; Lk 1:26-38 ), the evangelists refer to Joseph as Mary's husband and to Mary as his wife (cf. Mt 1:16, 18-20, 24; Lk 1:27; 2:5).” – (Redimptoris Custos # 7).

Now, God could have decided to protect, educate and provide for the human nature of Jesus and His mother without a human father or without a husband for Mary, but since God did so by appointing St. Joseph for this role, it shows us that it was not only fitting but also important to have a role model before society of how a Christian family shall be, father, mother, children. God’s purpose for family and society is not intended to be truncated, it is to be a reflection of the Holy Trinity, to be a communion of persons with proper order.

Humanly speaking, St. Joseph was able to fulfil his obligations as husband of Mary and as father of Jesus by also doing “the paperwork” of registering for the census (Luke 2:1-5) as the father of Jesus (John 1:45) in the Roman Empire. Presenting their firstborn Child at the Temple for His circumcision, accomplish their due sacrifice offering as prescribed by the Mosaic law (Luke 2:21-24), among other things. It is clear that God wishes the Holy Family to have their visible head. A visible father of Jesus before society. “Isn't this the carpenter's son?” (Matt 13:55).
Old 9th February 2018, 05:35 PM
Administrator

“It is to Joseph, then, that the messenger turns, entrusting to him the responsibilities of an earthly father with regard to Mary's Son.” – (Redimptoris Custos # 3).

Since St. Joseph was called to be the head of the Holy Family, does this in any way mean that his authority or that His decisions over his family were completely arbitrary? No. It had to be in accord with the will of God. “Then Joseph, arising from sleep, did just as the Angel of the Lord had instructed him, and he accepted her as his wife.” (Matt 1:24). Our Lord and Savior was subject to the human fatherly authority that God has given to St. Joseph, (which by the way, shows us the humility of Jesus by being obedient to His human parents (Luke 2:51), something that the prideful fallen angels could not accept in regards to human beings). Jesus "...was subjected to Joseph, he obeyed him and rendered to him that honor and reverence that children owe to their father" (RC # 8 ).

It is important to note that St. Joseph still worships Jesus notwithstanding his authoritative role over his family. St. Joseph could not have taught Jesus anything contrary to God’s teachings but, by God’s given authority and grace, he could also have disciplinary rules or decisions of the prudential order over his foster Son Jesus and also over his wife Mary. It is understood by Sacred Tradition that Jesus helped St. Joseph in the carpentry work. By the prevenient grace of God, these decisions or rules could not have been in any way contrary to the teachings of God either. “Joseph, who had the important task of "raising" Jesus, that is, feeding, clothing and educating him in the Law and in a trade, in keeping with the duties of a father.” – (RC #16). “And he [Jesus] descended with them [Joseph and Mary] and went to Nazareth. And he was subordinate to them…” (Luke 2:51).
Old 9th February 2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Notice that it is God Himself who guides the Holy Family under the protection of St. Joseph. Yes, there are times where the Holy Family encounters hardships of the everyday life, but the eternal God never ceases to guide them. God does not abandon them.

Since St. Joseph is the head of the Holy Family, God gives him, not Mary, the revelation that they needed to flee to Egypt and remain there until He tells him in particular, not Mary (Matt 2:13). Again, it is because Joseph is the Head of his family. His position is a matter of the role that has given to him. His call did not depend on his knowledge or holiness because if it were so, then God would have given this message through His Angel to Mary (the Immaculate Conception [this will be explained on a separate thread]) who is holier than Joseph.

Then we see that Joseph got up that same night and took Jesus and Mary in order to go to Egypt (2:14). We don’t see any complaint or disobedience from Mary. Joseph’s wife obeyed him. Mary obeyed her husband.

Then, after Herod has died, God’s Messenger (the Angel) went back to Joseph in order to communicate him that it was the time to go to Israel (2:19-21). Again, the message was given to Joseph, not Mary, not even Jesus who is God Himself and, humanly speaking (regarding His human nature), at this point He might have reached the age or reason.

Then, by Joseph’s prudent decision, he took his family to Nazareth (2:22-23). This was his personal decision.

So we see here, that God chooses one head (not two, or three or more heads for the same family or body). In the case of the Holy Family, God chose St. Joseph the role to be in His place in order to fulfil Jesus’ fatherly obligations on earth, as well to be Mary's husband, and guide the Holy Family. We see that God gives 'order' in the different roles to each person within the members of a family accordingly.
Old 27th July 2018, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Similarly, God has ordained that there would be structure in His Church, just as to the family. A family is a domestic church, a domestic congregation. The pastor is the head of the parish, and the Bishop is the head of the diocese, and the Pope is the head of the entire Church on earth.

Now, some may say, ok Peter had a primordial role, but it was for him alone, once he died, everyone has that role now. The answer to that is that when there is a principal leader in an institution, pastor or guide who dies, must have a successor; otherwise (a) his people will be as “sheep without shepherd” which, by the way, saddened Jesus to see such occurrence (Matt 9:36), and (b) his institution will break apart which cannot happen with God’s Church.

God appointed a hierarchy in His Church:

[Ephesians]
{4:11} And the same one granted that some would be Apostles, and some Prophets, yet truly others evangelists, and others pastors and teachers,
{4:12} for the sake of the perfection of the saints, by the work of the ministry, in the edification of the body of Christ.

Notice that the “same One”, that is God, did not grant that “all” to be Apostles, or “all” be Prophets, and so on, but “some” be in a higher or different roles than others, and that is for the *edification* of the Body of Christ which is His Church.

We see this when God had to gather His people in order to take them out of Egypt by appointing only one man, Moses, as the principal leader. God did not choose him out of knowledge or skills for there could be better people as Moses himself was excusing himself from taking this role (Exodus 3:11) (3:13) (4:10) (4:13). But notice that he had a successor in his role. The children of Israel could not be led as sheep without shepherd at the fate of the wolfs.

[Deuteronomy]
{34:7} Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died. His eye was not dimmed, nor were his teeth displaced.
{34:8} And the sons of Israel wept for him in the plains of Moab for thirty days. And then the days of their wailing, during which they mourned Moses, were completed.
{34:9} Truly, Joshua, the son of Nun, was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands upon him. And the sons of Israel were obedient to him, and they did as the Lord instructed Moses.

Notice that the successor of Moses is chosen by God Himself, Joshua, for he was “filled with the spirit of wisdom” and to confirm this in front of the people, Moses had to impose his hands on Joshua. So there is no doubt to whom Moses’ authority was being transmitted.

Jesus says:

[John]
{10:11} I am the good Shepherd. The good Shepherd gives his life for his sheep.
{10:12} But the hired hand, and whoever is not a shepherd, to whom the sheep do not belong, he sees the wolf approaching, and he departs from the sheep and flees.

Jesus is our Good Shepherd, He could not leave us abandoned in this world. It is true that Jesus is still with us spiritually, but as a man on earth He has gone to the Father; therefore, He could not possible leave us without a physical representative of His on this earth until His glorious return. That’s why, as shown above, He appointed the Apostle Simon by naming him “Rock” (Peter) for a good reason (Jesus’ representative or Principal Vicar) since Jesus is the Cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-22). We need to understand that it is from the lips of God Himself, Jesus, who named Simon “Rock”, for Peter and his successors are going to be with us as His chief representative. “There is one body and one Spirit” (Ephesians 4:4). The Spirit is invisible, but the Body is visible.